View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
DeborahNC

I had bilateral mastectomy Sept. 6, 2005. The surgery took longer than expected (5 hours) . I had a lot of trouble with not being able to empty my bladder postop.

Stayed in the hospital overnight (which I really hate). Was on a morphine pump for several hours postop until I developed a throbbing headache from the drug. I had the JP drains for about a week afterward and they were removed along with the surgical clips.

The worst part for me was not being able to get comfortable for sleep. Every time I tried to get on my side it hurt and my arm went numb. It took about a month for this to subside.

I started using my arms as much as I could per doctors orders afterwards. I did a couple of physical therapy visits to get the exercises down pat. I still can't get my arms totally straight and extended above my head, but am working on it.

I have a very natural looking prosthesis, but don't wear it around the house or working in the yard. I'm looking into reconstruction, but am quite torn about going through two 3 hour operations that I really don't have to have.

Our thoughts will be with you and please let us know how you fare after surgery. We're here for you.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote