View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
mekasan

Question Pros vs Cons? (AC chemo with or without T)

Hello everyone,

This is my first question.

Today, I noticed that according to the Clinical Care Options Oncology- 2005 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium website, (found at http://clinicaloptions.com/Oncology/Conference%20Coverage/Breast%20Cancer%20Dec%202005.aspx), TC chemo is superior to AC chemo for early stagers. My understanding is that Docetaxel/cyclophosphamide is TC and doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide is AC. Please see the following article for my source if interested. Docetaxel/cyclophosphamide superior to doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide in early-stage operable breast cancer.

My background: In August 2005, at 29 years old I was diagnosed with stage 1 IDC (two small tumors – .7 cm and .4 cm) and DCIS (4 cm dispersed throughout left breast). I have no node involvement. I am ER-,PR- ,and HER2Nue +++. I had a mastectomy on the left side in August before chemo and a preventive mastectomy on the right side last month. I received 4 rounds of AC three weeks apart and immediately began my 1 year of Herceptin on Dec 21, 2005 spaced every three weeks.

When which chemo treatment plan, my oncologist conferred with oncologist at Sloan Kettering, UCLA, and others. He cited an unpublished study from UCLA that compared AC to AC-T and found no difference when given with Herceptin to treat Her2Nue+, early stage, no node invloved, breast cancer. He concluded that AC plus Herceptin was equally effective as AC-T. He felt the T (docetaxel) was unnecessary, so I did not ask for it. At that time less chemo sounded better than more. I trust his research. However, that was in September 2005 and the article above was published in December 2005. Because I know it is possible for early stagers with no node involvement to experience a metastasis, I would like my treatment to give me the best chance at never seeing a recurrence anywhere in my body.

My questions: Is anyone with a similar background also not receiving T (doctaxel) chemo? Is it too late for me to add the T in now? Does anyone have any thoughts about the pros vs. cons of receiving or not receiving the T chemo?

I am looking for a starting point to help me make a decision about getting T and any type of input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length of this question.

Sincerely,

Shannon (screen name: mekasan)
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote