View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
mekasan

Herceptin Weekly or Every Three Weeks

I was incorrect before. I just read an article that states that weekly doses are not less stressful on the heart than 1 dose every three weeks. In addition, I found a similar question posted in another site. I hope it helps.

Here is the web address and the Q/A copied and pasted from the site.

http://www.oncolink.com/experts/arti...&ss=22&id=2237
Posting Date: April 2, 2006

Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"
I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, and am now receiving Taxotere, Cytoxan, and Herceptin every 3 weeks. Is there any benefit to doing Herceptin weekly? I've been given the option of weekly or every 3 weeks for the year I'll be taking it.

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

At the present time, we do not have clear evidence on what the "optimal" delivery schedule is for Herceptin, if any, as it is a relatively new drug compared to standard chemotherapy drugs that are employed in breast cancer . Future Herceptin studies may shed light on this and other issues, but for now the consensus is that either schedule is acceptable. We generally favor every three weeks rather than weekly for the sake of patient convenience.
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote