View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Chelee

1st chemo do different then 2nd?

I have only had two full rounds of chemo and I am confused. The first time I had herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin. Then weekly I was on JUST herceptin. Then due to low white blood count on my last week of the herceptin infusion I ended up in hospital.

So I had 10 days in hospital and about 14 days here at home recovering. So then I go back to have my second full infusion...meaning with ALL three drugs I mentioned above...and this time its been SO DIFFERENT? I even asked my infusion nurse if they gave me something different since I ended up in the hospital?

(One thing I failed to mention...my doctor had me do this infusion different then the first one. I did a concentrated dose of the herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin...and did NOT have the weekly herceptin) He thought that would be better for me.

But this time I have noticed I did not have any of the same side affects as last time. Wasn't as tired. Could eat almost anything. Didn't have that awful taste in my mouth or where my teeth felt covered with something? (Hard to explain..but that was bad!) I did NOT have the body aches and pains all over like the first time. Also the first time the taxotere gave me some tingling in my hands, wrists and knuckles that would come and go. My hands and any injuried place on my body was red..but NOT this time???

Also the first time my finger nails were history almost. Got really thin and would NOT grow. This time my finger nails have NOT been affected at all...and I have even had to cut them and file them? I had lost my hair after the first chemo...but this time my hair is growing. (what little I have on my head)

Does anyone have any idea WHY it woud be so completely different this time. (Don't get me wrong..I am not complaining.) I just don't understand how, or why it is so different? It almost seems like they left one of the drugs out...or changed one? For my finger nails to keep growing is really strange after the first time? I was a mess the first time compared to this time?

I hope this post makes sense and I have confused anyone. The frist time I ached so bad. I couldn't eat at all..had to force myself. Now I have a real appetite...this is so different it blows me away. Anyone have a clue why its this different?

The first week after my 2nd infusion the ONLY thing that seemed like the first time was I was a tired...but thats it. So I am lost on this one?

Last edited by Chelee; 04-07-2006 at 11:22 PM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote