View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
TriciaK

My cardiologist refused to give me a MUGA when I started herceptin, even though I'd just had a heart attack. (He'd never heard of herceptin, by the way!) Finally my oncologist ordered one about half way through. The EF was 58%. I think the cardiologist was a little put out that the onc ordered it. The cardiologist said he thought an echo was just as good, and he did order those for the next few months, every 2 months. Then when I was about 15 months into the herceptin, the echo showed an EF of 30%, and the cardiologist immediately ordered a MUGA, which confirmed the EF. The oncologist stopped the herceptin immediately. An echo a couple of weeks ago shows slight improvement, up to 35%. I have since decided to change cardiologists because I have never felt the one I was seeing was all that caring. I didn't pick him, he was just assigned to me when I had my heart attack. I always felt that he thought I would die of the cancer anyway so the heart was not worth being that concerned about, even though I have 2 blocked arteries and also partially blocked carotoids. I have an appointment with the new cardiologist April 10. Personally, I think a MUGA is important at first to establish a base before herceptin, but I don't like all the radiation. I would probably prefer an echo every few months, with a MUGA once or twice a year if on herceptin. I think the important thing is to have a doctor or doctors whom you trust and will work with you. That's my experience and opinion for what it's worth! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote