Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #64
Sue2001

Smile Wonderful Idea

Hi all,

I was diagnosed in January 2001 at age 40 with Her2+++, ER-, PR-, stage 3 BC. I had 3 tumors in the breast with 4/13 nodes positive. I had a mastectomy, 3 months dose dense AC, 3 months of weekly Taxol and then a year of Herceptin. I was in a clinical trial for early stage Herceptin treatment and I credit Herceptin with my being NED since.

When I was diagnosed I worked as a store manager for a large retailer. The job required 60+ hours a week and overseeing 200+ employees. I tried to continue to work through the chemo but found it was too difficult and eventually took a leave of absense. When my treatment was over I decided not to go back. It took breast cancer to make me realize that I was a workaholic and missing precious time with my family. I also wasn't taking care of my health; physically, emotionally or spiritually. I was lucky that I could afford to stop working. It was the best decision of my life. I now spend a lot more time with my husband of 25 years, my son Michael, my beautiful grandson Jace, my parents and sisters. Cancer is a horrible disease but it is also the catalyst for some very positive changes in my life.

I love to hike in the White Mountains here in New Hampshire. I also enjoy reading, writing, drawing, playing the piano, camping, yoga and working in my gardens. When I finished my treatment my mother and sisters took me on a celebration-vacation to Cape Cod, MA. We had such a great time together that we have made this an annual event. It's a time when all of us girls can spend quality time together. I also volunteer with the Dartmouth Hitchcock Cancer Center talking with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. I am continually amazed at how strong women are.

Being new to this HER2 group I enjoyed learning something about each of you. This thread is an excellent idea. The site itself is excellent -- thank you Joe and Christine. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Hugs to everyone, Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote