View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
Nicola

Hi Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I am so sorry for all you had to endure. I am 37 yrs. old too, I have been married for 6 years on June 17, 05. I have 3 beautiful step children ranging in age from 22-16. I was diagnosed in March of 04 with DCIS stage "0" noninvasive breast cancer, had a lumpectomy and radiation everyday for 8 weeks. I was doing wonderfully and going for mammograms and check-ups every 6 months. On Dec.1, 05 I went in to have my gall bladder removed after having a really bad gall bladder attack. When they went in to remove it they found extensive tumors throughout my liver in both lobes, I also have two spots on my spine at the T8 & T9. I still have a hard time figuring out how noninvasive stage "0" breast cancer metastasized. I am HER2 positive and currently I am on a clinical trial consisting of Herceptin, Taxol and Lapatinib(which crosses the blood brain barrior) once a week. I also receive Zometa, a bone strengthener once a month. I am the first person in the world to be on this trial and I can tell you that it is a very promising combination of drugs. I received my first CT scan since starting chemo last week, I had only had 7 treatments thus far and my scans showed vast improvement in my two largest liver tumors, they had shrunk by 20%. I will be on some type of chemo for the rest of my life, but if it keeps the mets at bay it is so very worth it.

I am so glad that your onc is treating you aggressively, he sounds like the man with a plan, it is my opinion that treating you like you are HER2 positive and also treating you hormonally is the right way to go. Stay strong Hon, we are all here for you. This is the most amazing group of people, they are so kind and supportive, have a plethora of info, and all are a inspiration. While the "C word" is still the most hated word in the world of health it is not the death sentence that it once was, it has now become much like diabetes, it can be a manageable disease that we can all live with and keep in check for a very long time and hopefully soon they will find a cure.

Lots of Love & Hugs,
Nicola
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote