View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
al from Canada

navelbine and cardio-toxicity

Dear friends,
Check-out the underlined / bolded sentance I highlighted near the end of the abstract. Is vinorelbine an anthracyline?? I thought I heard this at SABCS but it didn't register. Reading this brought it back, this time with a big question mark!
Regards,
Al

A phase II study on metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly vinorelbine with or without trastuzumab according to HER2 expression: changing the natural history of HER2-positive disease.Ann Oncol. 2006 Jan 12;

Papaldo P, Fabi A, Ferretti G, Mottolese M, Cianciulli AM, Di Cocco B, Pino MS, Carlini P, Di Cosimo S, Sacchi I, Sperduti I, Nardoni C, Cognetti F.

Division of Medical Oncology A, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy.

Purpose: To observe whether in pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients with HER2-positive disease vinorelbine plus trastuzumab can produce different overall response rate (ORR), time to progression (TTP), and overall survival (OS) from women with HER2-negative tumors treated with vinorelbine alone. METHODS: Between June 2000 and January 2004, 68 consecutive women were enrolled: 33 patients received vinorelbine (V) alone, while 35 patients were given trastuzumab plus vinorelbine (T+V) according to HER2 expression determined by immunohistochemistry. In tumors scored +2, HER2 gene amplification was determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization. RESULTS: In patients treated with V (HER2-negative tumors) the ORR was 27.3%, while in those given T+V (HER2 positive tumors) the ORR was 51.4%. The median duration of response was 8 months for women treated with V and 10 months for those who received T+V. Patients given T+V had a longer TTP (9 months) and OS (27 months) than those receiving V alone (6 months and 22 months respectively). Toxicity was mild in both groups. Concerning cardiotoxicity in T+V group, 7 patients (20%) had left ventricular systolic disfunction. CONCLUSION: Our data suggest that trastuzumab can change the natural history of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer. In fact, when treated with trastuzumab, women with HER2-positive disease had better prognosis than patients with HER2-negative tumors. Conducting a formal phase III trial comparing vinorelbine alone vs vinorelbine plus trastuzumab in HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer women could be debatable.