View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
al from Canada

Dear Rich,
Sorry, but not so. We have no idea how many tumors change HER2 status as I don't think anyone does post mortem HER2 testing. We know that HER2 status as well as ER status can change with mets, that is a well documented fact. In fact, I stand corrected, if it was a well documented fact then oncologistrs would be doing core biopies of mets of any patient who reoccurred as a HER2 (-) and re-testing their HER2 status.

How many patients are missing the benefits of herceptin because the retesting protocals are not in place?

It's a scarey thought. what we know about cancer is that there are no rules, it can morph into a totally different disease, and when it does, convensional treatment (defined as treatments based on primary tumor targetting), cease to work.

Linda and I talked to our onc today and I said, "the current standard of treatment is unacceptable". After seeing that I had offended him (and there was no offence implied), I qualified it by saying that "a treatment plan is consided as acceptable when it cures a patient".

Back to your point Rich, I think the reason many treatment plans fail is because they are based upon the intial diagnosis (and targetting).

Respectfully,
Al