View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
saleboat

I've been doing yoga regularly, and like Maryanne, believe it is one of the things that kept me going thru treatment. I do find that the more yoga I do, the better I feel physically and mentally.

I do a regular class with a young woman who had a double-masectomy/reconstruction, along with an AND on one side. (If anyone is the NYC/Manhattan area-- there are a group of us bc survivors who do yoga together every week-- PM me and I'll send the details) The instructor turned to yoga through her treatment and does it everyday, in addition to teaching. She has not had any problems with lymphadema.

I went to a physical therapist to build up strength on my AND side (I had 37 nodes removed) because I was afraid of lymphadema. The PT actually suggested yoga-- it gets the lymph system moving with all the deep breathing and stretching.

I think the same advice that applies to other activities applies to yoga-- don't push it too fast, and if you start to feel you are, you can back-off (sit in child-pose) or ask the instructor for some modifications.

Good luck with it,
Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote