View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
Barbara2

You will be fine.........

Hi, Chelee,
Those of us who have had chemo, can very much relate to the nervousness that came before the first time. Before starting, they took my blood pressure (as they often do before and during treatment) and it was very high. My onc joked with me and asked if I was just a tad nervous........

Pain: A friend of mine who just recently was facing her first treatment, asked if it hurt to have chemo. No. There's the little prick into your port, which has never bothered me, and I don't like shots. And sometimes, depending on the type of chemo, you may feel a "sensation" somewhere in your body. I had that from time to time, but it didn't "hurt."

Anxiety: Yes, for 23 years now, but it has decreased enormously since cancer. My first anxiety attack came a couple years before our first child was born. I was so afraid I would have an attack while trying to have that baby. I didn't. I had too many other things to focus on. As I've aged (55 now), what used to be big issues, I now see as frivolous. As Bev said, what used to cause her anxiety, does not even register on her radar now. That brought a smile to my face, as I definately can relate......... As they say, "Don't sweat the small stuff".......it's so true. Since cancer, I can really sort out the "small stuff."

Organization: I kept a bag packed with things I wanted to have along when getting chemo...something to read, maybe a small project, cancer articles, my lab book (that you will receive; you'll need to bring it with you each time so they can record your blood work in it. It is for your information and is nice to have.), and a little notebook that I used to write down questions to ask when seeing the onc, and other odds and ends.

Food: You'll want your bottle of water probably. They will offer you a choice of drinks to use when taking any oral medications which are given before starting treatment. They also offer treats (any assortment of the small snack bars, graham crackers, crackers, etc.) but often times they are too busy to think about that, so you may want to have something of your own. Sometimes over the lunch hour people have someone pick up something for them from a fast food place, or whatever sounds good.

Appetite: It may decrease during this time of chemo treatments, but that is OK. Try to eat nutritious foods as much as possible. Your appetitie will return!

Sleep: I'm not a sleeper, but many are. If you can sleep, great. Curl up with a blanket and rest. Some of the pre-chemo oral drugs may make you sleepy.

Focus: Visualize yourself as healing. Try to look ahead to times after chemo; maybe even an event to look forward to. My husband likes to say, "This too, shall pass."

Attitude: My surgeon's nurse said, "Breast cancer is the best type of cancer to have. There are so many effective treatments now." You will be getting a treatment that has shown great results for many, many people. Long lasting results. Many are still NED (no evidence of disease) and many will always be.

You'll be just fine!

Blessings,
Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote