View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Lourdes

Smile Taxol Herceptin

Hi Lisa,

I have the same chemo regimen like yours. I am done with 4 doses of AC and started with Taxol/Herceptin on Dec 6. I took 100 mg B6 and 10g each morning - noon - and nightime of Glutamine for 3 days beginning the day of AC dose.
The original schedule was for Taxol (full dose) to be given every 3 weeks. Due to problems with my WBC, the second Taxol dose was changed to smaller doses given weekly for 3 consecutive weeks followed by 1 week rest. First full dose of Taxol suppressed my bone marrow that neutrophil (WBC) was extremely low. This required hospitalization because I was running a fever even without visible or significant sign of infection. This would have been avoided if I was given Neupogen shots. For body aches and pain. I started with 1000 mg Tylenol but I needed something stronger so I used vicodine.

I completed the second set of 3 consecutive doses of Taxol on Jan 24 with Neupogen shots. The difference is like night and day in terms of the side effects. On the 3rd dose we managed to improve the dosing so as to reduce the side effects of the premed. Because of my sensitivity to alcohol (Taxol dissolved in alcohol) the Taxol mixture was further diluted from 250 mL to a 500 mL of saline solution and I requested for for slower drip. I didn't feel any bone/muscle pain this time. I did not even use Tylenol

Overall, I would say that Taxol side effect is nothing compared to AC. I will start my next Taxol dose on Feb 7.

I started with Herceptin at the same time as with Taxol. This is on a weekly basis for one year.

Take care.