View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Becky

Dear Lisa

While you are on chemo, it is more difficult to recover from even the most minor cold. When I was on chemo, my kids brought home a cold that was a breeze to get through - hardly anything - even for me on chemo. But then, I got a sinus infection from it that lasted 8 weeks (Augentin, cipro etc) and a cough. Just take it easy. Check your temperature a couple of times a day (to make sure you are not getting a fever). If you feel worse or have pain, call your onco immediately. It is easier to nip things in the bud at the start before it gets full blown. Your white blood cell count is probably low. I remember that you said you just finished your A/C and were going to start Herceptin/taxol. A/C is very, very hard on your white count. Taxol is not as hard but does affect your counts. This is why it takes so long to get well if you are ill.

All this is normal (unfortunately) but the chemo part will be over SOON for you and you will only continue with the Herceptin which is an easy drug to take (and has relatively little effect on your white counts).

Hang in there. Make some chicken soup and drink lots of fluids.

Warmest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote