View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

In a way I haven't had that problem, my daughter has just turned 16 and I was diagnosed in 98. I couldn't bear to look at my scar but she jumped right in and was the second to see it, her dad was the first and he just said you will be all right. My daughter, well she blew me away, she said you look like an alien, but in a good way, if that was supposed to make me feel better, I have been the only one with a problem with my scar, I still hate to be seen by my other half with no top on, he has never had a problem but I always remember what I used to look like and now I am not a pretty site at all, but I have been lucky he always see the potential in what others would see as ugly, not just human beings, cars animals, gardens even a piece of furniture. The other thing that bothered me in the begining was that he is 12 years younger than me and a very attractive man, he looked like Tom Sellick and had females flirting with him, it didn't occur to me at the time but it just used to go straight over his head and I would be upset for nothing, but now I am comfortable, we have been together for 18 years and he has seen me bald looking like the Goodyear Blimp, and bald another 2 times during this time, with all of my bad moods, self pity, crying and he says I am his best friend as well as the person he loves, and my daughter has the same characteristics, not for one minute does she think she will get this, except now she keeps telling me I have to dress old because I have to realise I am not young anymore, she must like my taste in clothes because most of the time I forget I even bought them for myself until she gives them back to me when they are just about worn out. She may like to be my daughter's pen pal in Australia, I know adults and maybe kids sometimes open up when they talk to a stranger, like the hair dresser. My daughter goes on camps for siblings of cancer patients as well as mixed camps, sometimes she finds them very depressing when they have to spend time reflecting on what has happened, and only because all of the other kids are crying, but she gets to talk to other kids who are going through the same thing. My daughter has been my rock, sometimes she looks at me and I just burst out crying and she consoles me and doesn't even get upset, she tell me it is just a part of growing up and accepting things we can't change, who is the parent here, anyway her name is Casey and I will give you my e-mail address and if she decides to write then Casey can give her the one she uses on her lap top, I don't even know it, mine is alexandere666@iprimus.com.au. Hope this helps in someway.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote