View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Becky

Robin was good to remind me about Pten activation (of which beta glucans found primarily in maitake mushrooms help activate if you have an inactive form). I know that you mentioned once that Linda does take these. The problem is what is enough for an effect versus too much that can interfer with other supplements. I take six 545mg capsules of dried maitake a day.

Now for P13K inhibitors. One that is common and available is selenium (in most multi's and supplements as sodium selenate). It is NOT the selenium that is the inhibitor. It is that excess selenium is converted in the body as methylselanol (a more water soluble version that can be eliminated by the urinary tract). This version is a known P13K inhibitor and this version is also highly TOXIC. I write this in bold for everyone reading this to see, understand and continue to read this post with thoughfulness. Selenium in high doses is toxic, toxic, toxic (since excess is converted to this toxic form). A little too much isn't going to do anything but what exactly is a little too much (hence, my initial advice is to take supplementation to what is consider 100% of the RDA and then focus on food sources initially).

Foods that are a good source of selenium include fish (especially shellfish), red meat, grains (especially wheat germ which is easy to sprinkle on your cereal), eggs, chicken, liver and garlic. Brewer's yeast is also high in selenium.

Al - I will continue to look for you as some "experimentals" out there are actually vitamins under an experimental number.

Stay tuned

Becky

Last edited by Becky; 01-15-2006 at 01:19 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote