View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Becky

Dear Tracy

I know how you feel and how when you read about Her 2 positive breast cancer you always read that it has a worse prognosis. It scares me sometimes even though I am now 18 months out. You are lucky because you will be getting the Herceptin with your Taxol treatments. I finished my taxol last January and I was lucky to be able to start Herceptin in June (because I was less than 6 months from my last chemo and the ASCO conference made a recommendation to start people like me on the Herceptin) so I will be done in June.

I do get down now and then but I convinced myself that I do not know what will happen to me breast cancer wise or other wise. So, until its my time, I will LIVE. Sometimes people ask me why I can be so positive and I honestly say that I don't want anyone to ever think that my living ended because I got breast cancer and I don't ever want people thinking of me of being a grumpy old lady ever since I got breast cancer (especially 30 years from now while I am still here).

Being in treatment is a hard time because fatigue can be an issue and staying well fed (nutritient wise) can also be difficult.

First, try to eat well - if you feel sick (even with the anti nausea drugs) eat small nutritious snacks all day long - peanut butter on whole wheat crackers, yogurt, cut up fruits and veggies, bananas, cottage cheese, tea.

Try to rest and if you can't sleep all night long, get a sleeping pill from your doctor.

Take a walk everyday (bring the children with you). It doesn't have to be a marathon but being a bit active and outside in the fresh air helps.

Take help from friends who offer. Let them bring a meal or clean your house. It's hard to accept their help but people really do want to help (and you can always pay this back by helping someone else who is having surgery or something in the future). Lastly, if you have more energy than I think, you can help someone else or an organization. Maybe put together food packages at a food pantry or at a church etc. (When I just finished my 4th AC my neighbor was in a car accident and laid up for a long time and I cooked for them as she was in a wheelchair for over 6 months).

Lastly, you might try or have tried lots of things to not be sad and if so, get something from your onco. There are lots and lots of good antidepressant drugs out there (and if after a month, the first one isn't working get a drug change).

I wish I could be there with you and give you a hug. It is hard, we here on this site all know. But I know you can do it and you will do it. You have every chance in the world to be fine and you will be.

Talk to me or this board anytime. This is why we are here.

Love, Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote