View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #20
Barb

I went to UK from Australia for 2 months and had to officially export from Australia, 4 doses of Herceptin confident that 2 double doses would be sufficient as I know it stays in the body for at least 4 weeks. (as it turns out, I was ultimately given 2 triple doses). The day before I left, my oncology unit packed it in cold ice in an insulated bag, and then put it in a big polystyrene box! I found a smaller insulated bag that held the first one. The airlines were not interested in helping keep it cool (I'd made enquiries beforehand) so we just kept it in our hand luggage. Next time if all is well and willing next year, I would look for even smaller insulated icebags as the vials are very tiny!
But be warned, in UK, as probably elsewhere, one must register with a local doctor and have him liaise with the nearest onc unit. I did all this before we went to UK and kept in touch to keep him reminded that I was going to turn up on his doorstep when I arrived in UK!
I don't feel that there was any problem with the doses that I took Gina. I did find John's letter from London, was interesting to read.
Keep with it girls, we're doing OK on Herceptin
Barb
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote