View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
mts

It's OK to take sleep aids...

I'm also taking Herceptin. I take Ambien to sleep. It does not "knock me out". I still wake if I hear my little ones going potty or if they call out for me. I then return to bed and fall back to sleep! Hot flashes do not wake me up. I know this drug is addictive, but I must say, it does not affect in any way my wakeful hours. I have gone off on weekends w/my husband and I noticed I don't need the Ambien then... I surely feel that stress contributes to my lack of sleep. But in the end, I am glad Ambien exists.

I also take Effexor (37.5mg) every morning for hotflashes. I, like so many of us- am in "chemopause" and the hot flashes were horrible. With the Effexor, I have not had a hot-flash for months!! Effexor is actually a psychotropic drug given for Depression. It's "side-effect" is lessening hot flashes. Surprisingly, one of my oncs did not prescribe Effexor to his patients (but now he does!). I just take a 1/2 dose. One thing about Effexor is that if I miss a day, I get a light headed feeling. So I am never out of that drug. My side effect is that my kids are more tolerable now...

Before I got cancer, I wouldn't even take an aspirin. I hated to put any kind of drug in my body. My, things have changed...!!!

I know many of the women on this site have tons of homeopathic remedies and excellent suggestions for helping overcome sleep problems. Before Ambien, I tried bubble baths, babysitters, visualization (you name it). Everyone told me to start an excersise regimen. Well- it did not work either. I still work out, I also do yoga and nothing works like Ambien!

Sleeping soundly,

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote