View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
Marie

Need information on early stage adjuvant herceptin

Hi,

I just heard about the approval for herceptin for early stage disease. I just saw my oncologist in Aug. and he informed me that I only had a 4mm invasive her2+++ and that I did not require further treatment with Herceptin. I was diagnosed and treated with chemotherapy in 2002. He said that since I was node negative or consider node negative because my first lymph node only had a micrometatsis-less than 2mm big, I did not need Herceptin treatment. Additionally, he said my risk of reoccurence was so low due to only a 4mm her2+ invasive that I did not need Herceptin. Further, he said the risks out weigh the benefit in a case like mine. I trusted him in Aug. and put Herceptin out of my mind, believing that he would know since he is a breast oncologist at the esteemed Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. Again, he considers me node negative with very small invasive her2+ disease and does not feel I need the Herceptin. So at this point I am still inclined to listen to him. However, I do worry at times if indeed I should be taking Herceptin.

If anyone is in this particular boat with very early stage disease that is node negative, and has been informed that Herceptin is indicated, please let me know and the reasons why.

Thanks,
Marie