Thread: family support?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi there, I am going through the same thing at the moment, I have been doing this since 1998, I have had that many reoccurrences that now I don't bother to tell many people any more, I just realised today that I hadn't told my brother that I fractured my shoulder 3 weeks ago, AGAIN. It seems that as my kids get older they need me more and that is a real bummer, I have done so much for them that they don't know how to do for themselves. I have not ever really looked sick during my treatments so I don't get much sympathy but since i have been in a lot of pain with neck and shoulder pain it has been wearing me down and I think I could just give up, so it seems that my family needing me is a blessing in keeping me going. I had this conversation with my daughter's school guidence officer today over the phone, and she says that it is not me who will be failing them it is the disease and they will adapt and they will get on and live their lives and I have moulded them to survive, but that doesn't solve my problem. Everyone tells me I have to remain positive and fight on, I have done it before, but I can tell you, or you probably already know it gets pretty hard at times being the glue in the family. So really there isn't an answer, we just want a cure and not have to think about this. I feel so desperately sorry for the young girls going through this on their own, I have a loveing and supportive partner but I find it hard to plan much ahead of the week end, I am booked on another short cruise with all of my family in Februay, about 20 or so, we did something similar when I was first diagnosed we had a dinner party at home catered for with a butler, it was like the "Last Supper" back in 1998 so I am glad it didn't turn out that way. I think as hard as it is, the younger the family the easier it would be because the older they get the more they rely on you to fix everything. I haven't really answered your question, but be reassured you are not on your own with these thoughts. God bless you.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote