View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Gina

Thumbs up To Uma from Arlington

Yes, Uma, I think your case is ONE that would GREATLY benefit from having the extra serum her-2 test done as you are really on the border line with the CA 27/29 around 18...I would suspect that your serum her-2 would be just slightly elevated at this point..probably no more than lower 20's but still, it would be a good number to know...also, as the CA 27/29 lags behind the serum her-2 by about 3 weeks...it is also possible that your serum her-2 is normal and that the CA 27/29 just hasn't come all the way down yet...even MORE reason to KNOW what the serum her-2 actually is. It is very easy to get this number taken...even if your onc won't give you the serum test, just ask your primary care physician to write the following on his or her Rx pad: "Serial serum her-2 tumor marker" with Diagnosis "follow-up to her-2 mediated breast cancer"...then take the script to the lab your insurance requires either LABCORP, there are so many in our area, or Quest, another common lab in the DC area...but any lab can do the test..it has been in the standard labcorp manual and handbook since at least 2003 or 2004...it is not complicated, but the blood does need to be put in a centrifuge and spun out and frozen..and some doc offices are not equipped to freeze it. Also, if you want a really good result, do not eat anything after midnight and do not take any supplements before you have the blood draw and have the blood drawn first thing in the morning--since you are no longer taking herceptin...you should probably do this a least once a month at first to be sure the number is not rapidly going up now that you have stopped treatment...but if you take it a couple of months and it see-saws back and forth but stays relatively low and your scans are clean..you should be fine. Also, it would also be good to have the CA 27/29 drawn at the same time. Again, all your primary care doc has to do is write it on his Rx pad. No big deal... Some doctors, though, will make you pay for it..even though if you have her-2 breast cancer it should be covered under your insurance -- except for the very early her-2 bloodwork I had to sent to Specialty labs in California, I have never had to pay for it out of pocket...but if you do, and believe me the data would be worth its weight in gold and peace of mind to you, it shouldn't cost more than $125 to $150, FYI... Don't be shocked that your onc isn't already using this bloodtest--but you could print out the article Rhonda posted and some of the other info on the test and show him...Actually, so few oncs even know it exists that it is embarrassing. There are EVEN oncs--supposedly some of the best--at Georgetown -- who don't even use them or understand how they work when so much has been researched and written about them...sighhhh. Granted, the numbers are not perfect and not full proof, but wouldn't it be better to KNOW what they are and where they go (up, down, or unchanged) to at least give you some idea of what is going on??? Instead of waiting around in the dark??? Unlike other kinds of cancers, her-2 is not so mysterious, if you are over-expressing this protein..you can measure it in your blood...please try to get the number taken with the CA 27/29 on a regular basis for the next few months or so and if after stopping the Herceptin as you just have..the numbers keep going uP UP UP...GET BACK ON THE HERCEPTIN any way you can..would be my best advice..sad smile...hope they are going low...though...keep following the advice on this site for the oleic acid, GLA, Vitamin A (for proper cell differentiation) Vitamin D (boost immune system) Zinc, makes the A and D work better together and boosts immunity, a good basic multi-vitamin, and other good stuff like a balanced diet rich in whole grains..and moderate exercise..walking is good...and you will manage this beast...smile...Take care, Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote