View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
AlaskaAngel

Listening...

My onc has been open-minded about Herceptin for me and I appreciate that a great deal. At our last appointment I requested to delay starting until the new year for a number of reasons.

The responses to various questions I posed were impartial. The flexibility that IS there, perhaps is there because even though my onc does have a basis from personal knowledge of early stage patients, the answer is not really hard science. I was neither advised to do it nor advised not to do it and I welcome that responsibility for my choice and fate.

I think there are a pretty limited number of us who are actually aware what HER2 is, the importance of it, and our HER2 classification. I don't see any concerted effort being made in the U.S. to now test the many who were never tested, or to inform those who tested strongly positive that they did test strongly positive. Those who ARE aware that they "missed the boat" by being between 1 cm and 2 cm and node-negative probably aren't a big group, and probably in that group there are a number who are not interested in any more treatment.

I am listening to the discussion about the Bayer test to try to understand how it is best applied to me, before going in for the first treatment. If nothing else I would think it would help me as a measuring stick as time goes by.

I am also interested in hearing what comes out of San Antonio in December, and whether or not as patients our situation is going to remain a blank page in their discussions.

I am also interested in any progress that is being made that applies to HER2's in regard to use of the aromatase inhibitors and whether or not it is possible for HER2+++'s to extend their usefulness by using other drugs.

I haven't seen any convincing information to believe that HER2's don't usually recur farther down the road. Have you?
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote