View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Joan M

1st Herceptin

My first dose I was told to expect to stay around for about 5 hours. First they gave me Benydryl and Tylenol and that had to be taken 1/2 before the procedure. Then they flushed the port - another 1/2 hour.
Between waiting for a chair, waiting for the the Benydryl, flush etc., I was actually there 4 hours right up to 5 o'clock, which is their closing time, so even though they told me that I would have to be observed for at least 1/2 an hour after, I was out of there a minute or so after 5 p.m. No one even asked me how I felt, they were so rushed at the end of the day, but I felt fine and had no side effects apart from several bouts of cold chills when the dose was being administered.
My next appointment with waiting around time, Benydryl etc., took about 3 hours. Next time I go, I will go right in and ask for the Benydryl without waiting to be called in for treatment (I'll be digesting it while I am waiting) and that will save me 1/2 an hour. I had someone with me the first time for fear that I had a reaction and was unable to drive but I could have easily have driven home. 2nd dose - I went alone, had no side effects other than a couple of cold chills when receiving the dose. I think that the Benydryl can make you feel somewhat sleepy and that is why they want someone to drive you and they make sure you are safe to drive.
I was told that after taking the Herceptin a few times and not showing any side effects that the Benydryl can be a choice and you can take it or not.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

JoanM