View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #13
Lyn
A Living Legend

Hi Sue, I am in Caboolture Queensland and I have been on Herceptin for 4 years. Radical Mastectomy in 1998 with an agressive cancer,I was supposed to be dead in about 2000. My onc can't explain why I am still alive, he says it is a miracle, I say it is Herceptin. I strongly believe the Herceptin slowed down the agressiveness of this cancer, but I have been fighting it non stop ever since. I haven't had to pay and with all of my treatments since 1998 I am just about the million dollar woman. I am about number 38 on the list out of the 1600 plus on it in Australia, I don't know how the ones before me have done but I did know 3 ladies after me who did not make it. 2 had very advanced organ involvementa and the other kept on developing infections in her pic line, I believe that was as a result of having a tetanus injection, and as this drug was new at the time my onc wasn't familiar with which chemo drugs had to be given with them so he had to take my lead from the knowledge I get from this board. Still he has only a couple of us on it, it seems we are like dinosaurs here, few and far between. My nephew's mother in law developed BC a year before me, just a small lump, no big deal but she opted for a mastectomy, she was not able to take Herceptin, her disease progressed and she is no longer with us, that was 2 1/2 years ago now. You could always ask your onc to talk to mine and see what his opinion is then.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote