View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #17
jessica

Hi all~
Just wanted to share my experience w/Herceptin & that awful whole-body-arthritis! I just had my 2nd dose of q3week Herceptin last week.I've been feeling so creaky & achy for the past 6 weeks-bones feel like they're just grinding on each other from the base of my neck to my sacrum, across my pelvis, even my feet-when stand up to walk after sitting for any length of time, it takes me a couple of steps before I'm up-right & my feet & ankles snap,crackle & pop!
It just occured to me today the reason...that triple dose of Herceptin! I experienced this same thing 2 yrs ago-after 49 weeks of weekly Herceptin+chemo, I was NED! I was so excited that I would be on Herceptin q3weeks & not every single week. After my first triple dose, I experienced flu-like symps for ~24 hrs & then the achy,creaky, arthritic feeling settled in.Tylenol didn't really help, hot baths, massage, stretching, nothing! After feeling this way for ~2 1/2 weeks, the achiness subsided...just in time for my next triple dose!
I teach Pilates full time & feeling the way I was feeling made it virtually impossible for me to teach. I remember lying on the floor, prone, setting up an exercise & I could barely lift my head my neck & shoulders hurt so badly!Additionally, I got these little bumps all over my torso. Ultimately, I had to go back to the weekly dosing b/c I was miserable. I decided I'd rather go in for treatment once a week & feel good, than have the "freedom" of the q3week regimen & feel crappy for 2 1/2 weeks!
After my recurrence last September ('04), my Herceptin+chemo treatments were again weekly. Since NED again (YEAH!) 8 weeks ago, we dropped the chemo & switched to the q3week Herceptin. Since I've been on q3week Herceptin, I've got those little bumps again AND awful achiness. I feel like some one stuck me in a little box & shipped me across the ocean!
I'm going to call my doc on Monday to talk about changing my dosing schedule. I really do like the freedom of the q3week dosing, but I can't handle the physical discomfort! Maybe I'll see if things are better on the q2week dosing...I'll keep you posted!
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote