View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Valerie

Hi all,
I am scheduled for my MUGA and herceptin ed. class on Tuesday. When I went to see my onc. in August, she said that if I had been coming through this year I would have been put on herceptin after my 4 A/C. I also had radiation. It took me 2 1/2 months to think about whether to go for the herceptin, a year long commitment, port and possible side effects etc. I was diagnosed at 49 and had a 4mm invasive tumor that was her2 +, er weak +/ pr indeterminate and node negative. I also had oncotype dx which suggested a higher than average recurrence which is what led to the decision to do chemo. I had been really enjoying seeing my onc on just a 6 month basis to drop in and chat. However, I know that if I came in 6 months from now with mets I would be on herceptin. So I decided to do the prophylactic thing and do herceptin for 1 year. A big decision for everyone and difficult since there are no studies to support this for people like us. My fiance said by the time I finish the first year there will be more evidence as to whether it is better to go for two years. I guess my feeling is that herceptin will help to some degree whenever it is given. It helps people with metastatic disease and now it is shown to help prevent recurrence. How ironic too, in the last few months I was really starting to feel great, starting to walk/run, swim and ride my horse with enthusiasm rather than forcing myself. I understand though that herceptin is not as bad as chemo. yeah! Also I am post menopause, ovaries gone due to cysts and on Femara.
Love to all, Valerie
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote