Thread: I'M Scared
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
Yvonne38

Post I'M Scared

Hi everyone
thanks again to everybody who posted a reply to my original post.
I've read a lot of the posts and I understand the Herceptin is a very helpful drug in the fight against breast cancer.
Does the fact that I had my diagnosis and chemo in 2002 make a difference to the affect that the Herceptin will have if I am prescribed it now?
Are there many ladies here who live in the UK because over here Herceptin is a post code lottery drug, depending where you live often depends on whether or not the NHS will prescribe you it. I think the dilemma over here in the UK is that it isn't licenced (I don't think??) as a first line drug ie when the original diagnosis is made but the NHS seem to be getting there!!! This makes me quite angry because I asked my oncologist if I'd been prescribed Herceptin when originally diagnosed in 2002 would I now be sitting here with secondary bc in my bones and he said probably not.
I'm really scared because I had such a difficult time with the chemo when I was diagnosed that even the thought of going back to the chemo ward frightens me and makes me feel sick.(which probably sounds stupid!!) I also have really bad lymphoedema in my right arm so they always have difficulty with finding a vein because they are not supposed to use that arm.
I've also been told I need infusions to strengthen the bone, because the secondary cancer is in my hip and I've just had 2 weeks radiotherapy to try and shrink the tumour. Does anybody know what the drug is likely to be that I will have for the infusions and any side effects??
They did lots of tests and apparently something has also shown up in my lungs but the oncologist said it is so tiny he isn't sure whether it is the cancer or not so he wants to give me another CT scan in 10-12 weeks time.
As I'm sure everybody here can relate to, all of this is very scary for me and there seems to be so much uncertainty as regards my treatment that I feel I am going out of my mind with fear and not knowing which way to turn.
Previously to this secondary diagnosis, I had been complaining of a bad leg for about 18 months and I had a bone scan in february which failed to detect the tumour and it wasn't until 6 weeks ago that they did another scan and it showed up also causing me to have a fracture in my hip! So my confidence in my doctors is a bit low at the moment because it took them so long to run the tests and detect the secondary in my hip.
Sorry for all the moans, but I really am so scared, and I'm so grateful and privileged to be here as a part of this special/inspirational group.
I would appreciate any advice support anybody is able to offer especially if you live in the Uk and have had similar experiences.But any help/advice will be VERY gratefully appreciated!!
Hope to hear back from you soon
much love and hugs to you all as you continue with your journey
Yvonne xx
Yvonne38 is offline   Reply With Quote