View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #16
Unregistered

I am new here. I was diagnosed in December 2003 with multifocal IDC, primary tumor 2.4 cm, 2 much smaller, Her+++, ER/PR +. Stage 2b. I had a sentinel node biopsy before any treatment and they found involvement in 2 nodes, a small level in one and a microchip in the other.

I got into one of the BIRG studies at Dana Farber, where you were guaranteed herceptin. I ended up in the herceptin/navelbine arm. I had 12 weeks of that, and then a mastectomy. They found that the herceptin/navelbine shrunk my tumors considerably but since they were multifocal and in different quadrants, my surgeon said she felt a mastectomy was necessary. That was probably the best day of my life without my even knowing it. Mastectomy in June, 2004, with axilary node dissection (no more nodal involvement), 4 courses of A/C, then started radiation - 35 treatments, and back to herceptin, once every three weeks, for 14 more weeks. Started tamoxifen in December of 2004 but (THANKFULLY) my oncologist switched me to arimidex in January of 2005. I had a bad reaction to the tamoxifen, and at the same time the San Antonio conference was reporting the results of the tamoxifen vs. arimidex studies.

Finished the herceptin in June of 2005.

I thank my lucky stars that I ended up at Dana Farber and that I decided to get into the clinical trial that GUARANTEED herceptin. I did a lot of research ahead of time and decided I wanted herceptin no matter what.

What I find so terrific is that for the longest time being HER+ was considered a terrible thing, and now with the great success of herceptin, women who are not HER+ sometimes feel cheated that they are not candidates for herceptin. Crazy world. But we are a very lucky group at this point in time.

Having a prophylactic mastectomy this coming Tuesday. Am not high risk but decided to do it for cosmetic purposes. My reconstruction options are limited due to radiation and I decided that I would like to be "even" rather than have different size breasts if I happen to lose or gain a little weight. The bonus is that I will not ever have to go near that damned mammogram machine again!

God bless us all.