View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Gina

I'm in the states and oh, so fortunate to be able to walk to the onc's office where I get the herceptin. Usually, two nurses, at least, are involved as one needs to be there to double check dosing etc., by law, here, I guess. After the first dose, so long as you don't have any bad reactions, I would say, GO FOR IT...how nice to have them come to you..smile...wait till I suggest my onc start making house calls at my next appointment hee hee hee...she will throw me out of her office so fast, she won't be able to stick me for my blood...smile... Of course, I always enjoy my time onsite as I get to meet many folks in a similar circumstance as they try to not mix the herceptin patients with the other folks getting chemo, if they can help it--something about cross-contamination or something...but I think this is just a pre-caution. I always enjoy getting my infusion as it is painless and I feel fine until about 4 to 6 hours later...then, it "hits" me as it were. When the fever elevates and the flu-like pain sets in, I just try to go to sleep...usually the fever will break at least by the morning after and though I might feel a bit tired, I can get through the day after ok. By taking it at home, you will avoid unnecessary exposure to nosocomial infections and if you should feel a bit dreary afterwards, can curl up in your own bed and get some shut-eye. Best of luck to you...herceptin is really a good drug. Take care, Gina