View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 03:44 AM   #70
BarbaraL

Kathy,
I am in the BCIRG 006 study. It is probably the same one you are in. This study is still going on. In fact my research coordinator called California and was told I would not have to leave the study if I chose to receive Herceptin - they would just do some extra paperwork on me and form a subgroup I suppose. However they would not pay for the Herceptin. She told them they should pay for it - HA. Anyway, I was glad that I would not have to leave the study after all this time if I chose to take Herceptin.

The research coordinator said that my doctor had recently gone to a meeting and a poll was taken among the oncologist there and the majority said they felt it would not be beneficial. However some did not feel that way. My doctor would not express his feelings one way or the other. However something changed his mind in August- because I asked at my appointment in June and he told me no. In August the center called me in to discuss receiving it only IF I wanted it. They said it was unethical not to offer it. If I had to read body language and gestures - I would have to say they they in no way discouraged me from doing it. What a way to make a decision this critical !!! HA! I still don't know if insurance will pay for the treatments - my doctor wanted to restage me again with scans before checking. I can't make myself make the appointment to be restaged. Something is holding me back.

By the way - I had lots of trouble with the Taxotere also - I think that makes me shy away from any sort of infusion type treatment.

Thanks again for your reply.

BarbaraL