Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
madubois63

Donna - I answered this question on the"other" board, but just in case you did not see that I will post my answer to you here.

I am glad your mom is doing well enough now to be thinking about an implant. I did not have implants, so I can't give you any advice there; but I would like to say that I think she should wait until she has gained some weight and is stronger. Several months ago, I was scheduled to have my ovaries removed. Everything was good to go. My Gynecologist, my oncologist, my thoracic surgeon and pulmonary doctor all gave me clearance for the surgery. I did the pre-admission testing. My mom drove me to the hospital. I put on the stupid nightgown. The nurses put the IV in me. They were ready to wheel me in to the operating room. Then the anesthesiologist came in and refused to put me under because I had a small plural effusion (we all knew about this). The surgery was canceled right there and then! Mind you, this happened not once but twice!! I decided to not have the surgery and now get a shot to solve the problem. My point being...your mom's doctor may think she is all set to go, but it is all in the hands of the anesthesiologist that doesn't know your mom. He will see a 5'5" woman with medical problems that is way too thin. This is just my opinion and of course, her doctor has the best answers for you and your mom, but I truly believe your mom will do better if you can fatten her up. Good luck and God bless you and your mom.

Maryann
Stage IV IBC 1/00
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol Tamoxifen
MRM 24nod/5+ Her2+
Rads 32x
Stage IV Mets to lung/liver/nodes 10/04
video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) surgery w/pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carboplaten Femera Lupron
4/26/05 NED