View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #8
*_Cheryl_*

Alaska Angel,

Yes, I too hope you can find an onc who cares and can answer your questions. Mine always runs 2 hrs. behind because he gives as much time as needed for each pt. ( I always arrive 1 1/2 hrs. after appt. time). I feel it is important to trust and believe in your dr. Although it is the pt. responsibility to know options and question tx, the dr. is the expert. I come from an allied health background in pediatrics and although it's is not a life and death situation, I DO appreciate the parents who research and discuss treatment options, but DO NOT appreciate the ones who TELL me how I should treat their child. If they think it is as easy as reading internet articles/research, then why did I spend 6 yrs. + internship + yearly cont. ed. to practice? I have the same philosophy with my docs.

Although not a dr. by any means, my training included critical reading of journal articles. I wish I could give you all the specifics of my final decision, but way too complicated in writing. In general, I saw too many inconsistencies among studies and professionals to warrant treatment at this time (2 years. post end chemo). I received very aggressive chemo and the 1+ node was encapsulated. I am hoping I am one of the 50-60% without recurrence!!

Bottom line, cancer does not consume my life. When the Herceptin issue made front page, I again experienced less sleep and more anxiety. I am comfortable with my choice and have decided to put Herceptin to rest and enjoy life again without this voice in the back of my head.

Hope this helps,
Cheryl