Thread: Need your help
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 AM   #1
saleboat

Hello all--

I've just discovered your web-site and it is fantastic! I'm not sure of the etiquette here, or if I am even posting in the correct section. But you seem so nice, so I know you'll forgive me if I'm mucking about.

I'm due to start treatment soon, and am 6 weeks post-surgery. If you'd like a laugh, I'll tell you that since I'm so newly diagnosed (4/15/05) that all this time I thought being Her2+ was a good thing-- because of all the press on Herceptin. I now realize what a struggle it has been to have that diagnosis without the benefit of something like this wonder drug.

My question-- my Onc has recommended that I join a trial with 4 dose dense A/C followed by 4 dose dense Taxol & Herceptin, with Herceptin weekly for one year. I think this is a very good option, but I'd like to add some Carboplatin to my Taxol & Herceptin cocktail. She didn't discourage me from trying to find another trial which includes Carboplatin, but she wouldn't offer it to me outside of a trial.

Since I'm 6 weeks post-surgery, I'm getting anxious to start treatment. Do you think I should push to find an Onc who will give me the +Carboplatin treatment out of trial? I'm frustrated because while I like my Onc, she is reluctant to do anything that doesn't have strong research numbers behind it-- I guess I'm feeling that my Onc is more of a researcher than a professional who is willing to use their judgement. I mean, a year ago she probably wouldn't have done Herceptin out of trial.

Any thoughts, shared experiences, or directions to a NYC-based Onc who will treat out of trial (off-label?) is greatly appreciated.