View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
imported_Joe

To Lisa and Kaye,

Lisa,
This test is in addition to my regular blood tests and tumor markers. It just gives my onc another indicator with which to monitor my treatment.

Actually, I volunteered to take this test. I had read a press release about it several years ago and just last November decided to investigate it more thouroughly. The company sent me several pieces of literature which I gave to my onc and she realized the value of it in monitoring my progress. The 6 is just a baseline that she will compare to subsequent tests.

CA15-3 is primarily to measure bone mets.

Kaye,
I am not aware of any Stage IV HER2+ bc patients who have discontinued Herceptin while still in remission as the general agreement among researchers is that the HER2 gene would restart if the treatment is withdrawn. Besides, who would take a chance? In my case, I have absolutely no side effects, a great quality of life, while continuing my therapy.
From what you are stating, you should be able to qualify for Herceptin. When were you last restaged?

My score of 6 indicates that my HER2 levels are in the normal range and that there is no cancer activity as determined by this test. It is Herceptin that keeps me at this level. Presently the FDA has approved Herceptin only for stage IV metastatic bc patients. Things may change this week by several announcements that will be made at ASCO.

Hugs
Christine