View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Jackie

I have mets to bones (spine, ribs, skull), skin, and brain. I had successful gamma knife last summer, and during a follow up MRI, mets to the meninges (lining of the brain) was discovered. This was confirmed with a spinal tap that showed cancel cells in the spinal fluid, and the recommended treatment was chemo introduced directly into the brain. I had an ommaya reservoir inserted into one of the ventricles on the right side of my head (right side contains less function than the left, in case anything goes wrong). A fairly good sized patch was shaved on my head, but the reservoir is a good deal smaller than the port-a-cath I also have. I experienced nausea following the procedure, most likely due to the anesthesia. I spent 1 nite in the hosp, but could have pushed for release. I justed wanted to err on the side of caution regarding side effects. Beginning this Thurs, I will have treatment 2 X wk until the spinal fluid becomes clear of cells, which hopefully will be within a few wks. Then the treatment schedule will be backed down. Systemic chemo will be suspended for now, but if anything unexpected erupts on that scene, that decision will be reassessed. I have been told that this dx and treatment are very uncommon. Hope this information helps someone at sometime!