View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
Lolly

I have had 2 Brain MRI's since becoming Stage 4 in 2001; the first MRI was ordered because of an unusual pattern of headaches. At that time I was advised that MRI's are not generally ordered as a matter of course even in Stage 4 disease; the usual practice is to wait for symptoms. However, my onc said he would also consider my level of concern in deciding whether to order them.
The second MRI was this past spring when I had a recurrence of mets, and even though I had no symptoms my onc felt it advisable to include the MRI along with the other re-staging scans. We also talked about several women on this site discovering mets from routine scans, without symptoms, and decided we felt it would be better to know sooner rather that later. As Joe points out, they are easier to treat when caught early.
Both brain MRI's were clear, and I think I'll be able to get them annually now, as my onc is very good about hearing my concerns.

Stage IV women should be able to get routine brain MRI's, but it's not always standard practice so some of us have had to push for them. I think earlier stage women probably have to wait for symptoms to develop, but be sure and ask for one whenever there are unusual headaches and vision or balance problems.

Love, Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote