Thread: Carla,
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
patty z

Dear,
As you may remember, I have not had WBRT, but I have had THREE Stereotactic Radiosurgies, treating a total of ten mets tumors in my brain. I have four left, each nearing the 1cm mark. And I am hoping to get a referral for a CyberKnife treatment on those, avoiding yet again, WBRT.

All of your problems, plus others, are some of the reasons I keep refusing the WBRT.

With each SRS procedure I am on Decadron for 8 days, in a decreasing dose. The first dx my med onc put me on 16mg a day and I nearly croaked! Until my rad onc started cutting me down after a little over a week.

My point is, I have atleast had experience with Dec, the drug from hell, but also the drug that can save us...sigh...

It is just my opionion, but I think you are expecting too much of yourself to go back to work on Thursday, even in a shortened day. It takes me a long time, two weeks atleast, to recover from the small Dec dose that I recieve after my SRS procedures.

You are where I was with the larger doses for a total of three weeks the first time. Weakened legs, moon face, etc etc etc. That one took a very long time to recover from.

Add your WBRT on top and you will be so tired I just hate to see you push yourself...

Because, if you do have swelling, the Dec in a very small dose may indeed be needed yet. No matter what your doc may hope. And that sucks.

If your headaches subside in the next few days....I STILL would hate to see you go back to work so soon. Can you not give yourself time to recover at home???

Hoping I am totally wrong, that you will have a speedy recovery, leaving you with no side effects of ANYTHING in short order...

love and many hugs,
pattyz