View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #15
jessica

Hello Eric,
You'll find a tremendous amount of support, wisdom, information & comfort here from some amazing women.Your wife is lucky to have you taking such good care of her.I hope that you & your wife will pursue participating in a clinical trial-research is our only path to a cure.
I was dx'd in may'02, 33 yrs old, Stage IV at primary dx (liver mets).I tried herceptin + navelbine w/no response, then a clinical trial until stable for a short 3 weeks, then Taxol + Herceptin for 14 until NED!I just celebrated 4 months since my last chemo & the return of my hair after a year of being bald!I was on tx for a total of 49 weeks.
I've been on weekly Herceptin since I finished chemo & my onc said she's somewhat surprised how well I'm doing on Herceptin alone...especially since I had disease progression the first time I tried it.She said this proves that there is still so much that we don't know about this drug and how the body responds.This is why I believe we have to continue to be vigilant and contribute to research!
I know you've discovered that you have to be your own biggest advocate-it doesn't seem right, but that's just the way it is.Susan Love's book & website are great sources for the most current treatment options.Another option is to switch oncs-my onc treats breast cancer ONLY-that way she focuses & stays educated about breast cancer specific treatment ONLY.
I hope this info is helpful.Will keep an eye out for your posts & your wife's treatment.
Keep the faith!
Jessica