Thread: flax seed
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #3
Leslie

Hi,
After I finished chemo and radiation, I had the energy to research dietary and supplemental things that I could do to hopefully help keep me cancer free. I take 2-3 TBS of ground flax seed every night mixed in some juice or water. I don't know if it helping as far as cancer goes, but I do know that the Omega 3's that it is rich in are touted to have many healthful benefits. My skin is much softer and less dry, and that is after chemo induced menopause that should make it drier if anything. Also it is supposed to help with inflammation. Not sure if it is or not - seems like I still have lots of tendon imflammation. The fiber is good for the intestinal system. I use the whole flax seeds and grind them in a little grinder every night.(I ordered an introductory package that came with a grinder and some seeds from Dakota Flax Gold over the internet.) Only takes a few seconds and than I know they are fresh. The capsules don't have the lignans (found in the outside shell of the seed) that are supposed to be an anticancer agent. If you are estrogen positive, there is some controversy about if they should be used, as they are a phytoestrogen (weak plant estrogen). I am hormone negative so that was not a consideration for me. Hope this helps.