View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 AM   #6
Anonymous

Lisa,

My experience has been different from those who already posted. I applied for social security and was accepted without any difficulty. I am stage 4, 38 years old, but would not consider myself terribly "sick." My doctor let it be my decision whether I could continue working and raise two small children, not his. Once I decided, he just submitted the facts, a copy of my records. After receiving social security for 6 months you are automatically notified that you are eligible for medicare both part A and B. One is for health coverage, the other is for hospitalization. You then must NOTIFY THEM if you would like to deny this benefit. Your hospital coverage remains, but the other can be denied. I denied the coverage and have never had any difficulty. I continue to have coverage through my husbands work. They have continued full benefits without any question. I have had 2 periods of NED since on social security. One lasted 7 months the other is currently at 10 months. This has also not been a problem. My understanding is the coverage will continue unless I have 3 years of "clean scans." I was assigned a case worker when I first appied. She continues with my case as long as I receive benefits. Although I have only utilized her a few times she has always been extremely helpful, sympathetic and easy to get a hold of.

I hope this helps