View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Sandy

I drew out my short term disability at work and I did not take out the long term (there was premium for it I had to pay) because I knew it is state manatory that when you sign up for long term disability you have to apply for S.S.D. You have to be out of work for 6 months before you get a check. My short term took me that far. I had no problem getting it and was told with stage 3 or 4 its pretty much automatic-you will get it. Now, the big one is Medicare. You have a 2 year waiting period from the month you receive your first disability check. I was notified shortly after receiving disabilty that I would automaticly get Medicare Part A in 2 years and that was last month. Then, I would have the option to sign up for Part B. I am under my husband's insurance but now he is on S.S.D. so that will run out and Medicare will be next for me in Sept. as that is when his benefits at work will run out. I don't know anything about Medicaid as I will never be able to qualify for that. Part A of Medicare is free (hospital coverage only) and you pay around $60.00 a month for part B. Then, you don't have any drug or dentish coverage and Medicare only pays 80% after $100.00 deductible is met. Really stinks when you think how much our treatments cost. Its better then nothing. I don't know what happens when we go to get Medicare co-insurance to pick the 20% and co pays. I suppose they stick it to us for that. Don't mean to sound negative and I am very fortunate not to have insurance issues but I know lots of our sisters here do and friends of mine nearby that do. Hugs, Sandy