View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
sarah

Re: Weekly Taxol for Stage IV

Tracy,
You will be able to take it. Chose a good day, maybe a Monday so that if you're tired from it, it won't effect the whole week.
I was on weekly Taxol for 6 months and I found reading very helpful, it took me away. I also would turn up the Eagles "Get Over It" up loudly and listen to it whenever I felt sorry for myself.
I was able to postpone a treatment so I could fly with my husband to Paris so he could meet with a surgeon for treatment for skin cancer on his lip.
I was also offered a break after 4 months but I stupidly didn't take it and the following week I did have my first and only anxiety attack at the hospital but it passed in about 20 minutes just in time to get the infusion. So if a break is offered, I would take one. And if you want to go away somewhere, ask about postponing a treatment.
Think week by week not forever. I was told I would be on Herceptin for life. I got into the habit of celebrating each visit to the hospital to get the treamtment knowing it was keeping me alive and I would take the nurses chocolate, talk to the other patients and get them coffee or magazines and time passed and I didn't mind it. After 6 years they decided I could stop and we could see what would happen. I was actually a little nervous about stopping! I stayed on it about 6 months longer because I had to get ready to stop! So hang in there.
Amy I loved your suggestions and I have forwarded them to the support group I belong to here in France for English speakers. We have free Mindfullness classes for cancer patients and their caregivers and they are quite popular and helpful. it's been scientifically proven that it helps.
Tracy, I know forever sounds forbidding but you can trick your mind. Enjoy your life. Remember, "Living is the best revenge"
Live well, be strong, your HER2 family is with you.
hugs and love
sarah