View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #47
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: The power of words

When you say you don't have a choice re drugs, I don't understand. Here, if I discuss my reasons why I think this over that, they acquiesce. When dx with recurrence ('98) one onc said Navelbine. 2nd onc said Taxol. Fav onc, though they are excellent and I feel blessed to have had them in my life, said Taxotere. Why do I know? So I asked fav onc why he chose Taxotere.

He said, what you have is a highly aggressive form of bc. I appreciate the honesty. HER2+ and 4th stage from the getgo isn't good. They didn't check for HER2 in '95. Not a thing yet. This onc said Taxotere is the most aggressive weapon we have in our arsenal (1998). It made sense to me to fight fire with fire. Navelbine doc chose that b/c it was kinder and gentler. And what I was told was -- what you have is inoperable (tumors throughout my liver, too many to count!), incurable and, you will be on long term chemotherapy for the rest of your life. So he chose the kinder gentler chemo. Taxol was the standard drug given at that time. I went with the harder road.

But my point is I chose which to go on. I participated in my own wellness and my destiny.

They still haven't done a biopsy? That is very odd to me. They did sonogram, CT scan and CT guided needle biopsy with liver. They did surgical biopsy w/breast. All before determining tx.

I do agree Juls -- the drug that didn't prove to be the magic bullet must have done some damage for sure. And yes, they should have caught this way sooner. You were doing CTs ev 8 wks?? That was my regimen. They checked it to be sure the Taxotere was working. Then, they added the Herceptin.

Just sharing my experience as a gauge for you to figure out your situation.

BTW, onc surg saw the CT and said -- I am not worried. You passed the ocreotide scan with flying colors. Nothing there to indicate carcinoid tumor. Then he said he didn't think what is there (in my belly) is omental caking. SIGH... I am sure that what we see in the scans now is fibroid scar tissue. It changes shape over time and that's fine. Nothing to be concerned about. I passed that on to my onc. All were satisfied. Repeat scan in June, as always. Major PHEW.

Thank you for the glaucoma input, Juls. The optometrist (who took well over an hour examining me) said the reason I was having trouble seeing -- I explained that at the outset -- was that I need a new prescription, I have narrow angle. I asked does that mean something with my peripheral vision. NO. It means you have the start of glaucoma. Tell your ophthalmologist. I believe they do laser surg to relieve the pressure and correct this. They go right into the iris.

I had a torn retina yrs ago and they did laser surg on the spot. Amazingly, I felt absolutely no pain and it was completely successful, checked every time I go. Healed beautifully. When I was having the surg I commented that I was seeing a whole lot of purple. (Happens to be my fav color. And I've read it is very healing.) Doc said he had no idea what the purple was about. No one ever mentioned such a thing to him. It was vivid purple and all over...

I am stuck on -- how do they proceed with a tx you have had no consultation on and without a biopsy...

Yes, use Ann's line!

Mind you, when I have come to respond, smiling, I DO NOT HAVE CANCER. We lock eyes. They don't know what to do with me at that point. But I tell my body every day I AM HEALTHY AND WELL. I DO NOT HAVE CANCER. And I KNOW that works.

I got rid of bad cold a few wks ago, mind you with increased Vit C, Echinacea with Goldenseal and Astragalus -- to boost my immune system -- oh and zinc lozenges -- a few times a day -- plus the MANTRA -- I AM HEALTHY AND WELL. NO MORE STUFFY NOSE OR CHEST CONGESTION. I AM STRONG. Then I throw in I NEED MORE ENERGY. MORE ENERGY!

Couldn't believe how quickly I became healthy.

It can't hurt. And it could / does help!!

Please keep us posted, Juls.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote