View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: The power of words

Hi Juls!

So are you saying you have no results and won't till 10 days when your next onc appt is?

ARGHHH is apt. Let it out. Then move on to singing mantra.

I have requested SAME DAY REPORT for over a decade. My onc works with me on this. If not same day, next day is surely reasonable for doc to get back to you, or ARGHHH 3rd day for absolute sure. HE HAS THE RADIOLOGIST'S REPORT NOW, NO DOUBT.

Just a courtesy. Cancer patients need their results.

I am glad you tested your Vit D. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AS A PATIENT TO ASK FOR A COPY OF ALL YOUR REPORTS. I have them faxed to me.

I had CT last Tuesday. New DOC FAX # was given to Imaging Center but -- had to call doc's office 2 x and then Imaging Center. They told me if the doc doesn't get it today (last Tues.) he will get it tomorrow (Wed.)

I politely explained I am a 20 yr survivor of cancer. I always get same day reports. I verified that with the person who signed me in and with the tech.
I had a procedure last July and I am anxious to know if what they've visualized has spread. I don't know if I will need more surgery. I don't know if I will have to go back on chemo again.

She then responded like a human being and said, within the next 10 min. (it was 3 o'clcok, I left the Imaging Center at 10:15) I will go and check myself to see if the report has been faxed. If it hasn't, I will personally send it right away.

10 min. later my phone rang. It was my onc. He said he just got the report. He was on his way out, leaving for Pakistan. He gave me the bottom line. I asked to have it faxed. He said, Absolutely. And within minutes I had my copy of my report.

I don't mess around.

Today, or tomorrow, I will call the Imaging Center and make sure they have the doc's new fax # on record. I had scrawled it in large letters/#s on the script and had explained it to registration and to the tech. They understood. Apparently, the next person in charge of sending report to onc failed to note any of this and sent to the old fax #.

This is what is called LIFE. We have to calmly move along knowing mess ups have, will continue to, occur. Just cover all your bases. Not hysterically, accusatory or whatever, but like the human being you are. With a loving Spirit... Just saying.

Now you peeked at your report. I have done the same since I'm 30, pre cancer. I decide that after all it is about me, the patient.

Glad you took a picture. Good girl! To study at home. For good measure, ALWAYS GET A COPY OF EVERY REPORT THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU AND YOUR LIFE.

Regarding CALCIUM -- I have read that the body can only absorb 400 mg of calcium at a time. I used to take 1200 at once.

NOW -- I take 500 twice a day -- CAPSULES, because I cannot swallow those gynormous tablets!

That's my best advice.

Let us know what your D is when you get it. It's really really important. Our organs are begging for more D3 all day. Sunshine isn't enough.

Merry Christmas for goodness sake!

Happy New Year, full of love and laughter, health and harmony.

Why are due at the hospital this week??????

Hugs,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote