View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Pat94

Re: Not sure what to do about surgery

Everybody is different and someone else's experience doesn't mean it is the right answer for you. I was 62 and married when I choose a double mastectomy. I had very large breasts & the surgeon recommended bi- to prevent back issues. My husband wanted both gone to lower the risk of recurrence although I think statistics show there is no difference in risk with either option. Normally you have to have radiation if you choose a lumpectomy. If you don't need radiation otherwise that would certainly be a consideration. I am thrilled to never have to buy another bra, never hike up another strap, never get heat rash or skin rot again. It was the right choice for me. However, getting clothes to fit is an issue. Maybe someone out there designs clothes for large women with no breasts but the closest I have found are full tank tops (again, strappy things and I don't get along) with a shirt or sweater over it works better than anything else. My husband hasn't minded the way my chest looks and my daughter finally saw me when she was helping me pick out clothes. It didn't bother her either. It sure won't bother an undertaker considering the shape some folks are in after they pass on. It certainly doesn't bother the medical staff either. Just do what feels right to you and don't spend time on regrets afterwards.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote