View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Dakini52

Re: Are blood tests really that important in follow up care?

I can tell you what my experience was and maybe you will want to see another oncologist. Mine is very proactive and always talks with me about things that I need to discuss. I was diagnosed stage IIB also and I have CT scans and blood work every 3 months for the first 2 years and from then for the next 3 years I would have had them every 6 months. I had a recurrence about 3 years out from final treatment. My blood works was completely normal but the CT Scan found a small tumor on my chest wall. It was caught very early and I had surgery, radiation and have been on Herceptin since then. I'm not sure why your onc is so different than mine, however, I think you might want to look for another one. Had I waited for symptoms with my recurrence it would probably have gone from a local recurrence to Stage IV. I don't think symptoms occur until well into the disease when there are mets to the lungs, brain,or bone. This is just my experience and each of us has to decide what works well for us. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote