View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Debbie L.

Re: Fasting Helps Immune System after Chemo

Donna, I found this study's results to be fascinating, also, and had done some exploring for more details. Not just for during chemo, but perhaps as a regular boost for all of us.

However, it appears that the majority of the results are in mice only (so far) -- which is always a little disappointing.

I was hoping to find some details of exactly what the fasting involved -- but it appears the mice simply didn't eat for the various time frames (although I couldn't find even those specifics, does anyone else have more info?). I await more information/investigation about what kind of fasting and what duration would be best, for humans.

Thinking of this in an evolutionary perspective, it seems logical to suppose that early humans did experience dietary patterns that mimic fasting (successful hunts/gorging alternated with times of near-famine). I think some of the paleo-eating proponents mention this and use it in their various regimens.

It's also interesting to see two of the newer frontiers
(metabolism and immune function) in cancer prevention and control linked together .

Debbie L.

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote