View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: Research Study on Chemo Brain help/Lumosity

Hi Paula!

I participated in an earlier AOW study by the same people, and after it concluded, had a private evaluation done by Shelli Kesler, the PI. Although I am a northern Californian, it was a 5+ hour drive for me to participate (but I stayed with relatives and considered the visit with them to be part of the bonus of participation).

Part of the study included complimentary access to Lumosity for a year, and I've been a paying member ever since. You get a LOT more game options with a subscription, including the hopelessly-addicting "Train of Thought". I don't know if doing the Lumosity exercises improves my pathetic multi-tasking abilities but I like to think that it might. Plus, most of them are fun (and those that seem more like work than fun are are probably the very ones I should be doing).

The results of the private evaluation were interesting. I'd been sure that there had been some changes to my executive functions (multi-tasking) after chemo and/or Arimidex -- and the eval confirmed that. She said that while I didn't score terribly low in anything, the contrast between my high scores in everything but short term memory (which was still normal, but much lower) confirmed my concerns. It wasn't exactly good news, but at the same time, it's somewhat comforting to know it's not just my imagination.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote