View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
tricia keegan

Re: meeting others in real life too...

Hi Leah, I was put in touch with another member here who lived in Scotland and the lady who put us in touch lived in the U.S...Carol was stage iv and wanted to live to forty but was refused Herceptin in Scotland so wanted to know if anyone knew if Herceptin was available in Ireland. Chrissy knew I lived here so I contacted Carol and began chatting. As her hubby was from Ireland they wanted to buy a house here so their two young children would have some family to help care for them, I was happy to confirm to Carol that I'd had Herceptin myself and managed to set her up with a medical card (for free care) plus her first iv of herceptin the day after she arrived here and she was thrilled.

We met a few times after that and Carol did well and lived another two years and was blessed with a very peaceful passing, the letters she had written to her children, family and friends were read at her service and her husband made sure to point out to me she had chosen her plot beside a tree overlooking a beautiful lake and visable from her home.

Looking back now a few years later it all seems bittersweet rather than sad, Carol was happy and ready for her death more than anyone I've ever known, she was content knowing her children and husband were with family and would be cared for which is all she wanted, naughty girl that she was, she enjoyed a ciggie after her lunch and simply went to sleep and didn't wake up which I and her family were so pleased for her. I know this all may sound quite sad but it wasn't and it was a positive experience in my life and also in Carols according to her husband and this site made it all possible as otherwise she may never have taken that leap to move to Ireland. I'm so pleased she did and it goes to show how Christine and Joe setting up this website really did create ripples all over the world.

If anyone is interested they can read Carols story on the Profiles in courage forum entitled "wishing to live to age forty".
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!

Last edited by tricia keegan; 05-30-2014 at 05:20 PM..
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote