View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Becky

Re: To do or not to do ?

Hey Girl - nice to see that you are doing so well. I feel your pain about AIs. Like you, I also had an ooph and I am approaching being on Arimidex for 9 years. At this point, I'm going for the full 10. I have had no joint issues but I am having libido issues and vaginal dryness issues which are also (psychologically) big issues.

There have been some studies that say if you are Her2+ but also ER/PR positive that the 10 years may not be as helpful than it is for those who are only hormone positive. However, what does that mean if you are strongly hormone positive? Secondly, it is also felt that estrogen is the biggest culprit for the beginning stages of any breast cancer, even if when you are ultimately diagnosed the bc is hormone negative. It is felt estrogen is the big party starter. These studies revolve around women who are BRCA 1+ and those cancers tend to be triple negative. Hence why it is recommended BRCA women at least get an ooph first and then go back and get the breasts removed. Stop that estrogen.

I am only 50% ER+ and PR negative but I want to stay on (at this point) to try to prevent a second new BC. I am hopeful that I am out of the woods for the first one from recurring but you never know. If more Arimidex will allow for not getting a new BC, I'm all for it. However, it is a very personal decision.

Again, its nice to "see you" again and know you are well.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote